Thursday, June 28, 2012

Keep Moving

Sharing a lane with another swimmer is always a bit of a bummer. The hope is to be lucky enough to have that lane all to yourself. Today I was not lucky, but I was blessed by a truly incredible woman. She explained to me about her MS diagnoses and how she used to be an athlete. Now she is simply trying to keep movement in her arms and legs. She looked me straight in the eyes and said, "This is my life's work, to keep moving."
Suddenly the rest of my work out was possible in a whole new way. All I could think about was inspiration. I have written this blog post a few different times in my mind this week. In observing the fire and our obsession with the red and orange flames, I wanted to write about our relationship to nature. Fire fascinates and terrifies, burns down forests yet keeps us warm in the winter. Friends and family watch the news obsessively for information. 
Then I thought about writing about patterns. The patterns in our lives that don't make sense until later on. How in losing my car key on the trail I got the delightful experience of talking with a German lady who walked two miles helping me look for the key that some kind person found at left at the entrance to the trail. Or how frantic I was about my living situation changing until I looked again and realized I already had a place to live. Once I surrendered to what was open to me, I suddenly had what I needed. A similar situation is occurring in other areas of my life. I looked frantically and found nothing. I looked again and saw exactly what I was looking for. 
Friends are in various states of turmoil. I desperately desire to ease the pain. Or even pretend the pain simply isn't there. Yet that isn't life. Not life truly lived anyways. Pretending only leads to even greater pain later. I wish I had more answers then that. Yet I do believe that each person is unique and crucial to the fabric of this world. And I believe we are held together by a truly great love. 
Maybe the only answer for now, is to look straight into the heart of whatever is on your mind today and say these words - "this is my life's work, to keep moving."

1 comment: