Thursday, December 29, 2011

Toast to the New Year

One of my favorite things about the week between Christmas and New Years is that I get a chance to reflect. I am one of those girls who finds journaling in coffee shops satisfying. After several soy hazelnut lattes, I am hopeful and excited for the year to come.
This past year has held many changes. Literal in the sense of finally snagging that elusive MA. Figuratively in the sense of shedding the role of student for the role of professional. I still like using the word professional, just for fun. Yet the biggest struggles I have found are in what to do with all that time I used to spend studying. I'm pretty sure I had friends and hobbies before I went back for more education.
Now I find myself on yet another journey of rediscovery. Who am I without school? Who do I want to be? How do I find the confidence to continue to pursue the dreams I still have for my life?
Sometimes it is far easier to go home at night, shut the door and turn on the television. And even though it is often reruns of Gilmore Girls, one of the best shows ever produced I must say, I know that I'm not done dreaming.
That thought excites me and encourages me. It's good to know I can still dream. Good to know there is life after school. Good to know I'm not done yet.
And neither, dear friends, are you.
A quote from the beginning and end of that fabulous chick flick, Pretty Woman.
"What's your dream? What's your dream? This is Hollywood, everybody's got a dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment